All Movies Watched on Kanopy April—Present
Here are five movies I’ve loved that you can watch right now. For free!
Five Really Great Movies on Kanopy Now
- What We Do In The Shadows. If you are like me and don’t love horror films, this might be your perfect ’tis-the-season movie. Because this mocumentary about vampire housemates is a lot of fun. Plus, it’s brought to you by Jermaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords) and Taika Waititi (Boy, Jojo Rabbit, Hunt of the Wilderpeople)
- Lost in Paris. If our senses of humor are aligned, you will adore this very odd film that is also a great example of the burlesque comedy tradition. Follow one Canadian woman as she tries to find where her missing grandmother in the city of light. (Note burlesque comedy tradition in France is very different than burlesque in the US)
- The Messenger. It’s that quiet Ben Foster along with Woody Harrelson in a film about the men who deliver the bad news to families of fallen soldiers. I just thought of a scene from this film last week, and it has been four years since I’ve seen it. The film sticks with you, is what I’m saying.
- Support the Girls. Aw, I need to do a list of Regina Hall films she’s great in. Here, she plays a manager of a sports bar on a day when nothing goes right.
- Learning to Skateboard in a War Zone. If you are looking for a documentary short, this was my top of the 2020 Oscar-nominated slate. The Academy and I were in agreement, as this was the winner. It’s 39 minutes of your time and you will have a lot of feelings. I ended up feeling hopeful.
- Memento (April)
- 21 Years: Richard Linklater (September)
- The Hitch-hiker (August)
- Night Comes On (August)
- Into the Forest (August)
- The Watermelon Woman (June)
- Girlhood (April)
- A Quiet Passion (September)
- Welcome to Me (August)
- Love Simple (July)
- The Beat Beneath My Feet (May)
- Teen Spirit (May)
- Lady Macbeth (April)